Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What's cooking Wednesday

It's been a full week since I've posted. I don't think that has happened since before Hope was born. I'm not going to wax on (again) about how I have no time to myself right now. Clearly I have some because here I am. However I'm using toothpicks to keep my eyelids open right now in order to type this week's WCW entry. You see, Hope doesn't sleep much. Last night I was up for most of the period between 2 and 5. Turns out she was cold. That was a blip on the screen. What is really keeping me up is that fact that she wants to breastfeed during the night, multiple times, and I've decided that it just doesn't fly with me anymore. I'll leave it at that for now. It's another post. I'll probably get it up by this time next year.

On with the show.

I love this time of year. Everything is ripe and ready and juicy and wonderful. Being a total tomato lover, you can easily see why I love this time of year. Two weeks ago we went to the Carp Farmer's Market on Saturday and we bought this:


Yeah, it was that big. And it was that good. We'll be going to Carp again this Saturday and maybe every Saturday until it closes for the season.

So, this week, I wanted to feature some of the fine produce coming out of Ontario's farms right now. And so I present to you Feta Spinach Pizza.

1 pizza crust of your choice - prebaked, homemade unbaked, whatever
10 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed, stemmed and coarsely shopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
ground pepper to taste
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced or 6 cherry tomatoes cut in half

Preheat oven according to how you need to cook pizza depending on what crust you chose. I made pizza dough so I baked it at 400 convection (450 regular oven) for about 20 minutes. It was just right.

Saute spinach in oil on high heat for several minutes until wilted. Drain spinach and press out any excess moisture. In large bowl, combine everything else except tomatoes.

Spread mixture on pizza crust, and top with tomatoes. Bake.


If you like spanakopita, you'll love this. It is pretty much spanakopita pizza. John and Emily wouldn't stop raving.

Yes, Emily likes spinach that much. Yes, I realize how blessed we are.

No comments: