Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What's cooking Wednesday


I came across this recipe the other day when I was preparing to make bread. The book kind of just opened to this recipe so I figured it must be a sign that I should make Brownie Cake Pudding for dessert. Now, I never make dessert usually. Normally, we have yogurt or some fruit or, if we're lucky, a cookie. So this was going to be a special event.

The recipe was very easy to make. It is very chocolately and tastes similar but better to those cake puddings you buy in the box. Although I don't understand how it works, pouring the hot water over the cake batter creates a pudding layer underneath while it cooks.

I think (normal) kids would go crazy for the recipe below. My kid said it was "yucky." Of course, she didn't actually taste it so there's that.

I apologize for the poor photo. I couldn't get my camera to focus on the cake itself. I think it was the fault of the bowl. John would agree. He hates those bowls.

This recipe made me think of a very funny story from several years ago. It was my dad's birthday. My mum asked him what kind of dessert he wanted her to bake. He said "That lemon cake you make that has the sauce underneath it." She spent the next few days repeatedly rifling through her recipe box looking for the recipe he was talking about. She went through several of her cookbooks. She checked and re-checked but just couldn't think of or find the cake he was talking about. And then it dawned on her: he wanted her to make a Sherriff pudding cake. My mum, the baker and cook extraordinaire, who had wowed countless friends and family with her recipes, always home-made, owned her own catering business, had been asked by her husband of 30 or so years to make him a birthday cake from a box (although he didn't actually realize that). If you knew my mum, you can imagine her reaction: there was high-pitched protests, flabbergastations (good word, eh?), general put-out-edness, shock, laughter of course, and then, there was a Sherriff pudding cake.

Brownie Cake Pudding


2 tsp instant coffee granules or powder (optional)
2 tbsp plus 1 3/4 cups boiling water
1 cupe all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup milk
4 tbsp butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (we didn't have any but if you have some, definitely plop some on top - it would take this dessert to a new height)

1. Preheat oven to 350. In cup, dissolve instant coffee (if using) in 2 tbsp boiling water.
2. In medium bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and 1/2 cup cocoa. In 2-cup measuring cup, combine milk, melted butter, vanilla, and dissolved instant coffee, if using. With spoon, stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just blended. Pour batter into ungreased 8x8 glaass or ceramic baking dish.
3. In small bowl, combine brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle over batter. Carefully pour remaining 1 3/4 cup boiling water over batter; do not stir.
4. Bake 30 minutes (batter will separate into cake and pudding layers). Cook on wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve immediately or pudding will be absorbed by cake. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

No comments: