Friday, May 19, 2006

There was pee-pee...there was a toilet...

...There was pee-pee in the toilet! Yes... it's true! She hit the target. It was last night and I'll set the scene: it was our usual after-dinner play time in the basement (also known as a room that we used to casually relax in with our tv and gas fireplace but has now been taken over by a mad rush of toys). During said time in basement, Emily normally drops a bomb which requires a major diaper change. I noticed the tell-tale smell mentioning to John that "damn, I meant to take her up to her toilet [attempting to avoid the word "potty" which I hate] for a while to encourage this to happen there. I'll have to be better about that." But, when I went to change her, I found it was just noxious gas and no actual product. So, here was my chance. We played with her toilet for a while (you are probably wondering how one plays with a toilet. Ask a toddler and you'll find out. Oh, and also buy a musical toilet - yes, it's true. We did. I hate the concept, I've frequently made fun of these in public settings, but since it is just me and the Internet I'll admit that I bought one. Why? Because she loves it and I'll do anything to make her love the toilet if it means one less diaper in my future). Nothing happened. So, we went back downstairs sans diaper but with me carrying both Emily and the musical toilet.

Toilet play continued in the basement. Then it happened. Emily started to pee on the carpet - I grabbed her while I was squealing (yes, squealing - it was very high-pitched for some reason) "Emily - not on the carpet - go pee-pee in the toilet!" and sat her on the musical beast. She kept peeing!!!! And she seemed to love watching the pee escape her. Her favourite part however was the cleaning out of the vessel. The way it works, for those of you who don't know, is that you remove the little receptacle out of the bottom, put some water in (at least I did to give it a rinse) and empty all the contents in the toilet. Emily loved this and wanted me to get more pee to flush down. I tried to explain that she had to produce the contents if she wanted to do this again. Not sure if she got that.

I hope to work at it this weekend. My only question really is if she actually has the muscle control or understanding of the feeling she gets just before she pees. I kind of think I just caught her mid-stream and was lucky there was still something left when I sat her down. Report to come.....

No comments: