Sunday, October 22, 2006

Heathens no more

Today I took Emily to church for the first time since her first Christmas Eve when she was 4 months old and really just a drooly, poopy thing in a dress. Now that she's two she can participate in the kids' program so I decided it was time to get on with this if it was going to happen at all. I went to Ottawa Mennonite Church as it is the only denomination I really feel comfortable in after being brought up in a very evangelical and conservative church - the kind of place I don't want to be associated with again. And certainly not the kind of place I would want Emily to experience. Ever.

The Mennonite Church is, while describing itself as evangelical, much more accepting of alternative views, much more internationally and community driven particularly in the realm of peace and justice issues. It is just a good fit for me. And if Emily wants to find something else when she is older, or not attend at all, that will be fine with me and ultimately, her choice.

The morning went like this for us: the first 20 minutes or so take place with the whole congregation. Then the kids leave for children's hour while the adults can stay behind for the regular worship service. This will be the ultimate goal for me but for today I took Emily to children's hour. It started with all the kids together. A woman played the guitar and talked about all the colours you find in nature right now using the example of Indian corn. Then the kids split off into age groups. Emily is with the 2 and 3 year olds. They did a craft and had a snack and then it was time to go home. The other parents were great - very open and inviting to me (which can occasionally be a problem in Mennonite churches if you are not Mennonite yourself).

The best part for me was that when I walked in the doors at the start the first person I saw was one of my best friends from university who I haven't seen in years. She attends there. I didn't even know she was living in Ottawa. Holly McNamara. Very cool and made it that much better for me. Of course, there were many other Grebel people there too that I know. That's the Mennonite game for you.

I felt really at ease there - we'll be back in two weeks (next week is the community Hallowe'en party in our neighbourhood). Emily really liked it and is still talking about the "lady and the corn." I must have felt at ease because my first action was to pull out the ass pillow and plop myself down. It was either that or stand the whole time. I figure these people shoulld get to know the real me from the start. Ass and all.

No comments: