Thursday, October 26, 2006

Why didn't I just stay on the pill?

It's another one of those days. But worse.

Emily is precocious. Most people who know her, know that. She is "strong-willed," which is a nice way of saying she is a pain in the ass sometimes. Today she is being so nasty that I am having a serious existential moment. This happens when you sit in the bathroom and make up a song about poo coming out of your bum just to help a toddler produce. Then, you quickly realize, there is nothing to produce. She has instead figured out that she can use the need to poo as a delaying tactic in regards to naptime. This is when it hits you how your life has changed from one where you filter information to a minister of the crown to one where you sing about poo and go all ga-ga when it is in a potty looking like ice cream. And all in a matter of weeks.

The problem with toilet training that no one told me is that a toddler hits a point when they don't want to where diapers anymore but they also aren't ready to shed them alltogether. They still need them on outings, in the car and for sleeping. Today, Emily refused every type I offered: cloth, pull-up, regular etc. Finally, I hit my limit, launched her into her room for a final timeout (I think I counted around 4 or 5 by this time after a morning of shouting (by her, not me), not cleaning up her toys, hitting, etc etc), then covered her bed in plastic, stuck a sheet on top and told her that I didn't care if she slept in a puddle of her own pee, she was getting in bed and staying there.

It registered because she got a look on her face like: "what the fuck? are you seriously going to make me do that? are you seriously seeing right through me and going to make me put my money where my mouth is? Interesting."

I put her in bed, walked out, went downstairs, looked at the bottle of wine, put on the tea instead, and then yelled "For fuck's sake!" just to make me feel better, which it did.

Maybe I'll have a chance with Hope. Unlikely. She'll probably end up sleeping in her own pee too.

2 comments:

little b said...

oh my. i'm sorry you've had a rough morning with emily. how did mum do it with us 18 months apart?

i hope the post-nap afternoon goes better.

Anonymous said...

Tough love, hunh? I seem to remember your mum talking about that as a technique of choice (C; Well... I'm sure you're doing wonderfully, even if Emily doesn't tell you that now. May the day get better and better
-Erika