Monday, January 15, 2007

Dirt, snow and a camera

I decided yesterday that today would be the day that I would finally take the car to be detailed. Normally, I just vacuum it out myself, dust, etc., but the level of dirt in the car is such that it really is a job that should only be tackled by professionals. I'm not even going to post a photo of its current state because I am too embarrassed. It is covered in Cheerios, goldfish crackers, orange juice stains, leaves, probably barf here or there. I don't even know anymore what is actually causing that smell that makes my stomach lurch and Emily say: "car pretty stinky."

I woke up this morning to the first real winter day in Ottawa. I was going to call off the car cleaning but decided to go for it. I mean, this is Ottawa.. a little or a lot of snow shouldn't deter me. If it does, I should move to a warmer climate. So, I took all the crap out of the car - papers, CDs, toys, what have you - and loaded in the kids and drove to the car place. Normally the drive should be about 15 minutes. It was about 30 today. The ploughs were only just starting and being the first big dump, most people had forgotten how to drive in it.

I pulled into the car wash place to find a sign that said the following: Closed due to weather. Huh?

Maybe no one has explained to this establishment that this is OTTAWA - if you close due to snow, you are going to have a pretty lean winter. Also, IT IS AN INDOOR CAR WASH. Seriously. I don't understand it. Emily said: "Mummy fustated?" Damn right.

So, since I was very close to a good camera shop, I drove over there and bought a new camera. Yay! It was cheap and takes decent pictures. Exactly what I wanted. I'll rely on my dad and Beth to take the good quality photos.

I'm rather happy that I bought the camera today because I went into the kitchen today and saw this empty box that yesterday was filled with water bottles:













A quick look around and I found this:













I think Emily might have a career in retail.

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

Did you have time to visit the ice-skating ring in Ottawa? I love this place :).

Karen said...

I assume you mean the Rideau Canal. The canal hasn't opened for skating yet because of the mild winter. The media is all abuzz with news on when or if the canal will open this year. I'll keep you updated if it does. But normally, yes, I spend a lot of time skating on it.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Wow, that display is making me thirsty! And I say that if a car wash can close because of the weather, a skating canal can open despite the weather. It's only fair. Unless, you know, people would die. Then maybe it's the right call.

Karen said...

Well, I guess if people can swim they'd be okay, but if not, then yes, they could die.:)

Anonymous said...

Hee hee... I LOVE it! Just that organization gene showing through. -Erika

Shan said...

Oh I love finding little treasures like this.

Abby is very much into lining things up as well. Maya is very much into destroying whatever her sister has so painstakingly arranged. They can keep each other busy for ages.