Monday, February 05, 2007

The poop incentive program

Emily still isn't "hitting the mark" so to speak. Unless that mark is the inside of her underwear. If so, then she's bang on. So, I've decided to go for positive reinforcement instead.

A few days ago I told her she would get a special present that she could pick out if she went poop in the toilet three times but if she had even one accident, the clock gets set back to zero. She decided her special present will be a birthday cake with candles, we'll all wear hats and sing happy birthday to her. Her birthday is in August, by the way.

So far I haven't had to pull out any recipe books.

However.

Today she pooped in the toilet. And it wasn't a run to the toilet because there is already poop in my underwear kind of moment. It was a full-on, real deal deposit. So, she's getting a special mini present (Curious George soap. CG is her current obsession) tonight before bathtime to spur her on to more great things.

Should I be baking a cake in the next week or so, there will be photos (of the cake, people) and songs and days named after Emily.

3 comments:

Shan said...

Way to go Emily. I hope you are eating birthday cake before too much longer.

Funny Abby's rather obsessed with Curious George these days too. We've watched the movie about 450 times since Christmas.

Anonymous said...

My Emily has a jar and everytime she uses the potty she gets to put a cotton ball in it. When the jar is full, they go on a train ride. She's already been on one and loves the jar. And she's having trouble pooping in the potty too.

It sounds like both you and Emily are doing great. Positive reinforcement is the best way to go. Maybe use stickers on a poster or something to visually show her how many she has to get. I bet it doesn't take long at all!

Karen said...

I like the idea of the cotton balls in a jar. I might try that if the current incentive program doesn't work out. I did do the sticker chart when we were just starting the training and it worked well for a while but she got bored with it after a month or so.