Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What's cooking Wednesday

Wow, it's really been a long time since I've been a true participant in WCW. I wasn't planning on taking a summer hiatus. It just worked out that way. With my trip to Texas under my belt, I really feel that fall is upon us and it is back to our regular routine.

I tried a brand new recipe this week out of one of my newer cookbooks, Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home. I've tried a few others out of this book and always to rave reviews. Tonight's recipe rates only a B, maybe a B+. John liked it a lot more than I did. On paper it looked really interesting but failed to wow me as I expected it to. Having said that, if you accidentally end up with two dozen eggs in the fridge after a miscommunication between you and your partner and you are running short of time, this recipe may be just what you are looking for.

Asian-Style Frittata



1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp veggie oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 stalk of broccoli, peeled and diced (I used a whole stalk with the top and just minced it all up)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium red or green pepper, finely sliced
4 large eggs
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp grated fresh ginger root

Sauce:
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sherry or rice wine (I didn't have this so I just didn't put it in. Maybe it would have turned the recipe completely around. Who knows?)
1/4 tsp sesame oil
1 green onion, finely chopped
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp cool water

In large skillet on medium heat, saute the onions in the oil for 3 or 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and broccoli and continue to saute for 3 more minutes. Add the mushrooms and peppers. In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the soy sauce and ginger. (I must add here that when I added the eggs to the pan in the next step I realized that 4 eggs were definitely not enough so added two more. You may just want to add six eggs at this step and avoid the panic that I had when I was overwhelmed by vegetables and underwhelmed by eggs.)Pour the eggs over the veggies and cook on low heat, covered, until the eggs are set, about 6 minutes.

While the eggs cook, make the suace. In a small saucepan, bring the 1/2 cup water, soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil and green onions to a boil. Dissolve the cornstarch in the cool water and stir into the simmering sauce. Stir until the sauce thickens and then remove it from the heat.

Serve the frittata drizzled with the sauce.

1 comment:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Hey there! It's been a while since I've commented, but I have been keeping up with your summer adventures--glad to see you cooking again (on the blogosphere), and, oh, yum!