Monday, October 15, 2007

Safety question (get ready for a few of these)

Not surprisingly, after last Friday, I'm a little focussed on safety issues in our house. Hope's burned fingers have lit a fire under me (that's a bad choice of words) to search out something to block off our gas fireplace doors. We use the fireplace to heat our basement, which is also the playroom, in the winter. The company, Kidco, sells a hearth gate for $300 here in Canada plus tax. It is much less at Target but they don't ship to Canada and it is kind of big so asking Beth to bring it up for me at Christmas isn't practical. I might be able to get my dad to bring it back with him after his November visit, but I'm looking for other options (that are less than $300). So, does anyone out there have any ideas to safely block off a gas fireplace or has anyone heard of another gate that is useful for this? I've searched the internet and have only found the Kidco gate.

Sorry for the outright boring-ness of this post but I'm a little preoccupied with this at the moment. And not spending $300. Although I'll do it if I can't find anything else.

8 comments:

little b said...

Jannie is also driving down to see Erika pretty soon. She could probably get one from Target and drive it back up to Toronto. Otherwise, Dad bringing one is a good option.

Karen said...

The problem is that target only sells it online otherwise I would ask Aunt Sharon to pick one up in N.F, NY and send it up with Rose. I guess I could get it shipped to Erika but then I'd still have to get it from Toronto.

Anonymous said...

Saw your comment on the Postcards from the Mothership blog and was wondering could you order it online and have them ship it to the store in Watertown? It's an hour and a half drive to get there. Just a thought as some US stores will let you do this. Might be worth asking about.
Hope this helps.

Karen said...

Renee: you made my day with the news that there is a Target only 1.5 hours away. How did I not know this?! I checked and I can't ship to Target but I'm still going there for some Christmas shopping. Thanks for the great news!

Anonymous said...

Have you priced out the cost of a kidco gate from other sources? Such as e-bay, which often has 'stores' that sell them new, for what seems to be much less than $300. Many of the American sources there will ship across the border.
Just a thought - jim.

Family Adventure said...

Hi Karen, I am too far away to offer any advice locally, but hope you get it sorted out before wintertime. Sounds like you are getting some good advice.
How is the hand?

Heidi

Karen said...

Jim - I did try eBay and yes, there are a few from eBay stores for good prices but with the shipping (about $60) I only save about $40. The solution is now that Target will ship it to Erika's (Beth's sister-in-law) and Beth's mother-in-law will then pick it up when she's there, bring it back to Toronto and my dad will bring it here. Probably way more information than you really cared to hear. I like eBay a lot for deals but I always get dinged on the shipping and it so far hasn't been worth it.

Heidi - The hand is improving although by the end of the day she still favours it - not crawling on it. It seems to be persuading her to walk more though!

Kellan said...

Poor baby. I hope you get it figured out - we have no fireplaces (live in TX) so I'm not much help - but Target sounds like a good place to start. I've ordered from them online and had things delivered to my house - worked out for me.