Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Some progress

Last night I had to take serious action with Hope. I left her to figure it out on her own. The previous night when she woke up crying around 3:00, I waited for about 15 minutes. She complained most of that time. I went in at that point and she went postal. It was after the next hour or so of sitting in her room while she screamed at me and then simply kept herself awake that I decided my presence was making things worse. So last night I didn't go in. She woke up around 3:00 again and screamed bloody murder when I didn't go in (not what I predicted but things did work out in the end). I'm surprised you couldn't hear her wherever you are. After about 10 minutes she went back to sleep and didn't wake up again until 5:00 at which point I fed her. So, there was progress. I'm hoping that tonight it is even better although the complication tonight is my class and she won't get fed before bed.

I'm really enjoying my class. In fact, I'm loving my class. I love the obligation of leaving the house once a week, turning my back on whatever is going on here and leaving John to take care of it. I love that I sit with a bunch of other students and learn. I love that i'm not the oldest in the class. I love that I'm immersing myself in English grammar. I love that I've met new people. I love that I am getting kick-ass grades. I love that I'm one of those annoying mature students that sits at the front of the class and answers lots of questions. I love that I don't have to pay tuition because John works there.

In short, I love it all.

In my short foray back into higher eduction I've noticed a few changes in (gulp) the eleven years since I finished my undergraduate degree. First, every second person you walk by is talking on or texting on a cell phone. When I was doing my undergrad no one even owned a cell phone. I think most people knew what they were but no one had one. No one considered getting one. Hell, in my residence (granted it was Mennonite) we still had rotary phones. Second, there is a much bigger age range in the students in my class than there was way back when. I am not even close to the oldest person in my class. There are at least three, maybe more, who are probably collecting their CPP. It could be particular to the class I'm in. I'll have to keep note as I take more to come up with a hypothesis.

Before I started the class, I think on my first night, I asked John if students still took notes the old fashioned way: with pen and paper, or would I be a Luddite if I didn't have a laptop. He confirmed it was still done by hand, for the most part. He was right. Of course, all the classrooms are wired and profs can link to the internet right from their Powerpoint slides. I like this so much better than the nasty overheads they all used to use (not that long ago really).

Anyway, really, I should be up there reading for my course as I'm a few weeks behind now instead of assuaging my guilt for missing two posts already during NaBloPoMo.

Do I care? I really don't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for sleep! You know, Karen, after a few nights I bet if you let her go again around 5am, she might just surprise you (although I am aware that the 5am time slot is just when Emily might be prone to waking up too -- I appreciate the catch 22).

Good luck!

Jen

Shan said...

Glad you got some sleep. It's funny Maya is exactly the same way. With Abby I could go in and check on her and it would be fine. With Maya having me check on her just fuels her. And let me tell you she is stubborn and very willing to hold a grudge.

Glad to hear you're enjoying school so much. Good for you!