Monday, December 03, 2007

Snow Day

Finally Environment Canada called it right. Normally when they call for a big storm and everyone starts to panic prepare, nothing happens. Maybe a flake or two, but that's it. This time it turns out they were right. And then some.

It snowed all last night. It snowed all day today. It's still snowing now.

John shoveled the driveway twice and probably could have even done it twice more. Two of our neighbours were stuck in the middle of our street. I foolishly took Emily over to the Community Centre on the sled and dumped her twice because of the tire ruts on our street. We laughed. Well, mostly me.

So, for all of you who are in a more tropical climate and are, just for a second, wishing for a white Christmas, here's a little taste for you. I'm sure this will be enough to satisfy you. And then you'll be very happy to walk out your door, feel the sunshine on your face and know that the only shoveling you'll be doing this Christmas will be in your garden.

This is a photo of our patio table. Notice we were lazy caught unawares this year and still have our umbrella on the deck and the chairs arranged as though we're about to have after-dinner drinks. Yeah, we meant to do that.


Anyway, that's a damn lot of snow. Want some?

There are stairs under there somewhere.

Last year we barbecued our Christmas dinner. I'm thinking we'll be cooking indoors this year. Oh, that's the barbecue if you were wondering why I was going on about last year's dinner.


I really wanted the photo below to turn out better but I'm limited by my sub-par technology. There is a very cool snow drift on our roof just below our bedroom window. I'll see if I can get a better shot of it during daylight, although I really like the back light from the house lights.


Although our winter tires are still in the garage, I realized again today that good winter driving is only partly about tires. Mostly it's skill. Luckily I seem to have some of that (my dad would be proud to know that) but some of my neighbours definitely do not. Those would be the ones who were stuck in the middle of the street and at the ends of their own driveways. It's called a gas pedal, friends. Think about using it.

5 comments:

little b said...

wow, that's a whole lot of snow. I guess you were right about us needing boots.

Karen said...

Yup. And it kept snowing all night so now there is even more... which didn't really seem possible.

Anonymous said...

woo hoo, but boy is it fun! although I definitely was one of THOSE kids at school who reveled in giving face washes, tripping, and throwing others in the snow, as Gill can attest....

btw: nice new picture, government slog! as Gill would say: "fashion"!

jen

Julie said...

That last picture is very supernatural. Looks like you caught some sort of apparition on camera!

Shan said...

Wow that's a heck of a lot of snow Karen. We got about half that down here. They were calling for more, but guess what.... nothing but a couple of flakes.