Thursday, January 17, 2008

A day out at the movies

On Sunday afternoon I took Emily to see her first movie in a movie theatre. Emily is just a tiny bit into Veggie Tales right now (her favourite CD is Silly Songs with Larry, she knows every character by name and often refers to the Israelites in her imaginary games. Just a little bit into it) so with a new Veggie Tales movie opening (The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything), I thought it would be a great mum and kid special moment.

And it was. I wasn't let down. And the Emily who I love the most, the one who doesn't scream, who isn't rude and doesn't hit, showed up to accompany me.

We got popcorn and her first pop, went in and then sat for 25 minutes while the previews went on and on and on and on. Seriously, why don't the powers that be shorten them for kids movies? There were kids there younger than Emily (which I found astounding given that her attention span was stretched) who had to sit through commercials, movie trivia and then seemingly endless trailers. I wish for the days when it was O Canada, one cartoon and then, Bob's your uncle, let's start the show. I would have arrived later but I knew seats would be scarce if I did that and I was right. So, Emily, every four minutes asked me "Is it on NOW?" "Nope, not yet." "NOW?" "Still no."

After the movie finally started, she wasn't so sure if she liked it. But, after the action really started, she was really excited to be there and loved the whole experience.

I look forward to doing it again someday... for a movie that's few months old, where we can grab our seats a few minutes before it starts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm out of the loop. What is Veggie Tales? Is it Pixar, Disney, or something else? Based on stories or TV? How can a person be so out of the current trend?

Glad to see it went well. We have yet to venture in to a theater either. Soon, I suppose.

Jen

little b said...

I take credit for the V.T. addiction. I'm so glad she likes the cd of silly songs!

you're right about the trailers. i wish they would take them out for the late, late show too. it's already past my bedtime and i have to sit through 30 minutes of crap?!?

Shan said...

Glad to hear Emily enjoyed herself so much. I've been thinking about taking Abby to see that one as well. It's been awhile since she's been to the movies. I believe we saw Cars the last time we went.

little b said...

Another comment to say that I can't believe how old (relatively) Emily looks in that first picture. she's growing up! It makes me a bit sad. I live too far away.