Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Catching up, Volume II

On Saturday morning we went to Cumberland Heritage Village Museum, east of Ottawa, for their Heritage Winter Fun Day. I was desperate to do something outside. I've felt cooped up. We've been playing outside occasionally but not enough and last week I had a touch of cabin fever.

The day was absolutely beautiful. It was only about minus 5 or so, there was no wind and there was light snow falling. Entry was by donation and everything else was entirely free: sleigh rides, cookies and hot chocolate, snow shoeing. There were a couple of exhibitors: a trapper and a dog-sled builder. For me, it was the joy of being outside in winter with our family, walking through the village and just enjoying being together in the big, wide world.

We took our sleds to pull the kids around and it worked perfectly. We really had a great time and now that I've come down with my annual cold (although it is only once a year, it is always a biggie) I'm glad we took advantage of going out because I have no desire to leave the house for quite a while now.

Yes, I know. The hat is awful. Remember from last year? Crime doesn't pay.

I will knit a wonderful, colourful, beautiful hat for myself for next year. For now, I'll continue to live by my winter motto: Sanity, Not Vanity.

3 comments:

little b said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I have my annual cold as well. I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

Karen said...

Me, too. Colds suck, especially when you have kids to look after.

Anonymous said...

Your idea of a beautiful day and my idea of one are completely different! Like today, it was 72F, perfect, and I didn't have to dig a pick-nick table out of the snow to sit down.