Thursday, May 08, 2008

What's cooking Wednesday: the Thursday edition

Last night I stood in line at Wal-mart for twenty minutes after trying on virtually everything in the store and finding only t-shirts that fit me. I guess I deserve that for trying to buy clothes at Wal-mart. Following that I waited at Shoppers Drug Mart for twenty minutes for a prescription to be filled. After all that, I was too dang tired to post for WCW and so today we have What's Cooking Wednesday: the Thursday edition.

Before I get on with that let me draw your attention to two new items I just posted in my Etsy shop. Very cute, very for sale!



All right then, on with Week 2 of Eat, Shrink and Be Merry, the newest cookbook pulled off my shelf though often ignored and the newest cookbook from my favourite Polish sisters, Janet and Greta Podleski. I have to admit that this recipe is now a standby for me. I haven't used this cookbook often but when I do it is probably for this recipe. Put simply, it's hamburgers. But these hamburgers are perfection. We love them. I don't try any other recipes. And with a bit of tweaking, they are now perfected, in my humble opinion.

Cowabunga Beef Burgers

1 1/4 lbs extra-lean ground beef
3/4 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs or 1/3 cup dry unseasoned bread crumbs (if you have left over bread, save it, stick it in the blender or food processor and make your own fresh bread crumbs. They are way better than the dried fine ones.)
3 tbsp hickory-flavoured barbecue sauce (don't use a regular bbq sauce - it has to be hickory or smoked. It's the secret of this recipe.)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (eh, optional in my opinion)
2 tsp prepared horseradish (to be honest, I rarely have it so it often doesn't go in but I've used it once and it was good, but not really necessary if you don't have it)
1 egg
1 tsp minced garlic
chopped cooking onion or green onion, as much as you like (this isn't in the recipe but it is a must. It makes the burger even better.)
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
extra bbq sauce for basting while they grill

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix gently using your hands. Shape meant into 4 large patties, about 1 inch thick.

Preheat grill to high. Grill burgers about 5-6 minutes per side. Baste with extra sauce last two minutes of cooking time. Do not press down on burgers during cooking or you'll end up with dry burgers.

Serve on whole-grain buns with favourite toppings. We add cheese while on the bbq and I serve them on the awesome PC thin hamburger buns.


Juicy, flavourful, delicious. Welcome summer!

4 comments:

Julie said...

love the new hats! I am showing them to everyone at work too. One friend wanted to know if you could make them in a larger size?

Karen said...

Definitely I could. Just let me know what size she would want and which design and I'll make it. (there might be some trial and error in getting the right size but that's okay).

Heather... said...

I was going to ask the same thing! I have a 1 year old and I think she'd look adorable in this! How heavy are they? More for a early spring, fallish kind of wearing? Also how long would the strawberry take to make? And how on earth do you have time for this?!?!?!

Karen said...

Heather - the hats can be as heavy as you want depending on what kind of yarn I use. I used Merino Superwash Wool for the strawberry. It is extremely soft (and machine washable). The watermelon is also Merino Superwash but made by a different company so it isn't quite as soft as the strawberry. It would be a good late fall hat, even early winter/late winter but wouldn't be warm enough for January.

The strawberry in a larger size would take me a few days because I only work on it during the evening and if the kids both nap (which only happens occasionally now). So, I guess that answers how I have time for it: I don't do housework when I'm knitting!