Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Cleanse: Day 7 and 8

Things are continuing to go well. Day 7, yesterday, was a bit of a milestone because it meant that I finished one supplement that had me taking 7 pills three times a day and moved on to another that is only 5 pills twice a day. There are still some things I need to improve: (1) get more exercise. If I really want to get the maximum benefit from this, I need to get moving more by biking or walking every day. Or at least 4 times a week. In the last 7 days I've only been out 3 times. I do find it hard with the kids and all the rain. (2) diversify my food. I'm still eating a lot of the same things. I need to spend some time tomorrow combing through my cookbooks looking for new ideas.

My dad and Donna arrived in town last night for the Ottawa Dragon Boat Festival so John and I took the opportunity to go out and see a late show last night. We saw Indiana Jones. We both LOVE the Indy series. We loved the first 2/3 of this movie but the ending? Just weird. It is Close Encounters of the Third Kind meets Indiana Jones and I wish they hadn't gone that route. Still, all in all, very good. Yes, I ate some popcorn. No, I didn't eat much of it. Yes, it was very good. No, I felt no guilt about it at all. Okay, maybe a little but I quickly ignored it and took one more handful.

Today we went to a new farmers' market in Ottawa: the East Ottawa Farmer's Market. Everything sold there comes from within 100 km of Ottawa. It was very good, fairly close to our house and free parking. I finally found someone selling reasonably priced local eggs! I'll definitely be back for that alone. And there were tons of local strawberries. We picked out the nicest we found (which also happened to be the cheapest) and I'm going to go pick-your-own at their farm on Tuesday with the girls. I'm not sure how that will play out with Hope but we're going to risk it anyway.

We ended today by taking dinner over to my friend Pam's house. Her husband Jim, John's work wife, is away for ten days so she is on her own with their two kids. Nevan, their oldest, happens to be Emily's self-proclaimed best friend. We ate, chatted and generally ignored the kids as they entertained themselves and each other in the yard.

Tomorrow we will darken the door of church one last time before we head to the cottage, followed by an afternoon play date with Julie and Max and then we will likely go to Sparks Street for the annual BBQ Competition, at which I will be eating absolutely nothing. I'll be toting some carrot sticks and the like. Sigh. Poor me. Wah, wah, wah.

I did bring this on myself but I can still complain when faced with barbecue. It will truly be a test of my will. I have to say though that I am noticing some interesting things and some encouraging signs that this is making a difference for me. First, my hair is oilier. I assume this is from the toxins coming out. Second, my skin is clearer at a time when it decidedly should not be. Third, my mood is consistently better. Fourth, my energy level stays much higher. MUCH higher for most of the day. I still get fatigued but that is almost always related to not eating enough and often enough. Last, I'm sleeping more soundly. Last night I honestly don't think I stirred until about 6:00 this morning. That's amazing to me. I've become, like most mothers, a very light sleeper but last night I think the house could have been picked up and moved and I might not have woken up for it.

I'm not sure that's a good thing for the kids but it was damn good for me.

There are other things I notice that I'll save for another time when I'm feeling the need for some shock and awe around here.

Can you tell I'm finding it hard to come up with a witty and snappy way to end this post. It just goes on....

and on.....

and on....

until I finally just walk aw

No comments: