Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What's cooking Wednesday


I don't know about you but I love it when I get one of those Simply Homemade pamphlets in the mail. Yeah, they're all about marketing certain brand-name baking products but I don't care. I always have the ingredients it seems and the recipes are sinfully delicious for the most part. The recent edition is no exception. So far I've made two of the recipes and they were both gone lickety-split. Here is the most recent I made and although it isn't exactly low-calorie it is delicious and does have some definite nutritional elements to it.

Sweet and Salty Granola Bars

Ingredients

Bars

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
1 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds (I used pumpkin.... mmm, good)
1 cup raisins (would also be awesome with dried cranberries)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup shortening, melted (I might try and use butter next time but I'm not sure it will crisp up the same way)
1 tbsp kosher salt

Topping

1 cup chocolate chips, melted
1/4 tsp kosher salt

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper making sure to overlap sides to allow for easy removal and cutting of squares. Combine all ingredients for bars in large bowl. Mix well. Press into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly.

Combine melted chocolate and kosher salt. Drizzle over bars. Allow chocolated to harden. Cut into bars.

This recipe makes a lot, but it will be gone quickly. I love the Nature Valley sweet and salty granola bars. These are better and don't have that mystery "yogurt" topping which is a plus. I don't have a photo but Simply Homemade has a website with a video of these.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't get these in the mail, but yum, this looks good!

little b said...

These looks great, and I have all the ingredients in my cupboard. I think I'll make them tomorrow.

Shan said...

These sound super yummy!!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Yum! Love granola bars :)