Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A black mark

As enthused as everyone is about Obama's win, a black mark will appear beside this election in my mind now after California voted yes to take away the right for gay men and women to marry.

So sad.

Listen, I'm not naive enough to think that Obama is the answer to all of the US's problems. He's not as liberal as the media make him out to be. A Canadian newspaper recently said that Clinton would have fit well as leader of Canada's old Conservative Party (Joe Clark's version). I think the same could be said about Obama.

But he's the most liberal they've had in a long time.

He still doesn't believe in same sex marriage. There still won't be truly universal health care. There still will be many, many places that women cannot access safe abortions.

Having said all that, he's going to do lots of great things and it is a move way beyond where the country is now.

However... California. California!? I thought that state could be counted on.

2 comments:

Shan said...

Wow Karen! I hadn't yet heard what that outcome was and I am truly shocked. I mean you get the sense that "anything goes" in California. I really don't know what to say. I am baffled and sad. What a step backwards.

Sheryl said...

California is weird. Heck, look at their governor!