Monday, November 24, 2008

The ups and downs of starting your own business

You know, the romance of starting your own business dies after your fourth or fifth night of being up until midnight designing business cards, searching for inexpensive business labels, costing out recipes, and developing price lists and packages.

So far, I really love the creative process of this. I am also excited by the responses I'm getting from people. I'm also feeling a bit overwhelmed by the realization that, damn, I'm going to be doing a lot of baking between now and Christmas. I had grand plans to adopt Andrea's Christmas Challenge and bake our own gingerbread house (rather than buying a pre-baked version from Loblaws) but I'm thinking that those things, particularly the gingerbread house baking, aren't going to happen. I still want the lead-up to Christmas to be really special for the girls and not be dominated by a mother who is covered in flour and frazzled nerves barking demands for "more baking soda, damn it! Stat!"

This weekend we're heading to Toronto and Kitchener and I'm really looking forward to a few days away to mull everything over, make some mental lists and get my head around the way I'm going to organize my time to manage this well and still be a really good mère Noel, as my friend Julie says.

And for tonight, as the first batch of shortbread bakes, I've promised myself a good veg in front of the tv before I head to bed exactly at 10:00 and no later.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Did you manage to make it until 10?