Wednesday, November 19, 2008
What's cooking Wednesday
A few days ago I found myself with one really nice steak defrosted from the freezer. It would have been enough on its own for John and I as it was really thick but I wanted to stretch it out in a different way so I didn't just have a big slab of meat on my plate (which I don't mind sometimes but I didn't want that night). I had the brilliant idea of grilling it, slicing it and turning it into my own version of Philly Cheesesteak Pizza. Good idea, eh?
I didn't take a photo. I really didn't have time as the pizza was gone so fast!
Karen's Philly Cheesesteak Pizza (sort of)
1/4 cup pizza sauce
1/4 cup barbecue sauce of your liking (I used a smoky one I brought home from Texas last time)
grilled steak (make sure it is decent quality)
1 green pepper, sliced thin
1 onion, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
shredded cheese (I used a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella because that is what I had)
one pizza crust (I made my own from my standard recipe which is upstairs in the kitchen right now so I'm not going to be providing it since I don't want to run upstairs. Sorry. Use whatever pizza recipe or store bought version that you like)
1. In small bowl mix pizza sauce and barbecue sauce and set aside.
2. Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper and put on hot grill.
3. Saute peppers, onions in hot pan. Season with salt and pepper. Add oregano. When almost done (but still a bit crisp) add garlic and cook one more minute.
4. Preheat oven to 425F.
5. Remove steak from grill when done to your liking. Cover and set aside.
6. Roll out pizza crust. Cover with sauce mixture.
7. Slice steak thinly and in bite-size pieces and spread all over pizza.
8. Spread pepper mixture over steak.
9. Cover with shredded cheese.
Now, I know this isn't really Philly Cheese Steak. It's more like a steak sandwich on a pizza. But I like the title so I'm sticking with it.
This was REALLY good. John and I both raved. Emily ate it up too and she doesn't normally like steak. Hope won't touch pizza. Raving lunatic.