Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Our first school Christmas concert

Yesterday afternoon was Emily's first school Christmas concert. It was simply billed as the Kindergarten Concert, understandably, as Emily's class is so wonderfully multicultural, at least half of the kids being Muslim. The songs focused on winter, hibernation, bears and gingerbread - all themes they've explored recently. It was everything I hoped for and more, with that perfect kindergarten moment of one kid stealing the show.

That kid wasn't mine.

Emily's usual modus operandi in situations like this was in full play. She sat without moving, eyes glued to Mrs. B, singing really well but not doing too many actions to the songs. She was just so intent on singing and listening. She was very serious through it all. She's always been very serious in these kind of situations. If you didn't know better, you'd think she was scared or unhappy but no, she's just really focused. She was having a great time.

Not quite as good a time as her little friend Rebecca though. Rebecca is enthusiasm personified and I love it. Let me give you two videos to show you Rebecca's influence on the group. The first video, you'll notice they are all very serene. In the second video, Rebecca picks it up and the crowd follows. It was a great, great moment.

I laughed, in spite of myself.







The concert followed with a party in the Kindergarten room. It was really nice to have all the families together celebrating our kids and their achievements so far. At the end of the day, when it was time to go, Emily, the creature of habit and full-on bus-lover, insisted on taking the bus home. Since we're only a few minutes away, I decided to let her have that and not argue about it at all. And so, we left her there to climb aboard the bus.

4 comments:

little b said...

That was awesome. Totally made my morning.

Pam said...

WOW, super cool! I loved seeing Emily and Rebecca in action. I'm glad there was no incidents.

Did I ever relay Nevan's Halloween concert story to you? I was the proud parent of the one and only child to breakdown and cry but refuse to leave the line-up of children, so a whole gymnasium of parent's watched his attempts to control the tears and quaking lip. I just hope this friday's concert is less traumatic for my sensitive creature of habit.

Shan said...

So great! And Abby is the exact same way about the bus!

Julie said...

I loved Rebbaca's enthusiasm. It made me mlaugh. Looks like Emilie was intense, but still enjoying herself. I'm glad it turned out so well and major incedents (like Nevan! Sorry Pam!)