Saturday, June 20, 2009

New York Day 2: rain, sore feet and blog the chicken

John just gave me the instruction that I have to blog the chicken. I'll get to that in a bit. Here's a run-down of our day.

We slept in. We blissfully slept in. Until 9:15! We ate a quick brekkie here and then headed into Manhattan. John and I searched out the Strand Bookstore and spent some money. John bought academic stuff and I bought one thing for me and a bunch of stuff for the girls. I bought an awesome book bag that I plan to replace the 5-year old diaper bag with.

My stomach was needing filling by then so we walked up to Little Korea, first walking through the Union Square Green Market area (a farmer's market) that had a wonderful aroma of fresh onions and tent after tent of produce, flowers, salsas, honey etc, and had a great lunch in Little Korea. We balked at the price of the egg pancake. In Ottawa it's $9 or so. In Manhattan, $17. Ouch. But, we're on vacation so we ordered what we wanted and really enjoyed it.

Today was very rainy. And so we declared it a museum day. We took the subway up to Museum Mile and met Beth, Graeme and Kate in front of the Guggenheim Museum. The line was too long for Kate so they headed to the Central Park Zoo instead. John and I went into the Guggenheim and saw the current Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit (as well as all the others). Wow, that is a great museum. We loved it. Museum fatigue set in near the end. It was time to move on.





We walked through Central Park, hoping to spot Beth and Graeme (our cell phone had no power so our only chance to meet up was to spot them. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I mean, this isn't a Seinfeld episode after all). We walked, walked, walked, until we left the south end of the Park. We desperately sought out a Starbucks to rest our weary feet. We perused our books, drank our coffee/tea and then I headed back out to tackle FAO Schwarz, the big toy store made famous by the movie Big. Right in front of FAO Schwarz was a large glass cube that proved once and for all why Apple is just way cooler than PC.





I found one gift I was looking for but nothing else. Wearily, I headed back to the meeting spot and John and I trained it back to Brooklyn.

On the walk back to the apartment, we picked up some of the AMAZING chicken that seems to be roasted daily on the sidewalk (in a bbq/smoker) in front of one of the many Caribbean restaurants in the area. For $8 you get a huge serving of chicken pieces. Beth and Graeme were already back here eating their own chicken and some pumpkin roti. We tucked in and came out the other side with mouths on fire and raving about the chicken and roti. I expect we'll have more of the same tomorrow. It was great and we like eating the neighbourhood specialty.

Now for a bit more wine and to rest my still-weary feet.

2 comments:

Shan said...

Great pictures. Happy you're having such a great time!

Julie said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Can't wait to hear about today's adventures. happy father's day to John!