A couple of weeks ago I made soup for supper; I made a soup for supper that was so good that we couldn't stop talking about it for the following two days and we ate every last drop of the leftovers and then the day after that I wished there was more left for me to have for lunch.
The soup was Mulligatawny. I've had the soup in Indian restaurants before but never made it myself. Man, was I missing out! This soup is now going to appear on my "regulars" list. Of course, Hope wouldn't eat it but John, Emily and I triple-loved it!
(This recipe is pulled from the old grey Canadian Living Cookbook but I made some delicious modifications so I'm including those all in the recipe below.)
1/4 cup flour
3 chicken breast halves, bone-in
2 tbsp veg oil
4 carrots cut in thin slices
1 large or 2 small parsnips, diced
2 onions, chopped
2 stalks celery in thin slices
2 apples, diced (use ones that keep their shape - not Macs)
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk
salt and pepper
1 cup hot cooked rice
chopped fresh cilantro and fresh wedges of lime
1. Place flour in plastic bag; shake chicken breasts in flour to coat. Reserve remaining flour.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan; brown chicken on all sides. Remove chicken and set aside.
3. Add carrots, parsnips, onion, celery, apples, curry, turmeric, nutmeg to pan; cook, stirring, over med-high heat until coated with fat in pan. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved flour; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in stock.
4. Return chicken to pot and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender, sitring occasionally. Remove chicken; cut meat into bite-size pieces, discarding bones and return to soup.
5. Stir in coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Heat again gently but do not boil (to avoid milk curdling). Place large spoonful of rice in bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup on top. Top with fresh cilantro and squeeze of lime (essential!).
I might make this again tomorrow night!