Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I love that sound

This morning, John and I went to our second appointment with Sarah, our midwife. We love Sarah - she was our rock during the very long and difficult labour I had with Emily and she was full of compliments afterwards and understood our disappointment that all that work ended with a c-section.

During this appointment we heard #2's heartbeat for the first time. Just as with Emily, it brought me relief and excitement and some tears as well. I just love the comfort it brings, even though you can always find hundreds of other things to worry about in a pregnancy. It is so nice to hear that fast little heartbeat and hear the baby move away from the sounds coming from the doppler. That will always be a highlight of my pregnancies. And the relief and excitement it brings, lasts for a few days. I feel nothing can bring me down.

Sarah also talked to us about a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesaerean), which we are going to attempt. The stats are very good. Eight in 10 women who try it are successful and the risk is very low (0.5 percent for uterin rupture). I'm looking forward to trying this again and preparing myself and John for total success. I know that using a midwife will also increase our chances of success.

I wish I had a recording of the heartbeat to stick here but instead you'll have to imagine it. It's something like: bump-bump-bump-bump-bump-bump-bump. I bet you couldn't have come up with that yourself.

No comments: