Monday, April 24, 2006

Yes, you heard it right.... new daycare!

Two weeks ago I met with a woman I found through the Daycare Provider Network in our area. Her name is Dawn. She has a daughter who is 18 months old, also named Emily. Dawn is bilingual and will speak to Emily (our Emily) in French but do her program in both languages. She makes her own bread (!) and has a really cozy house - very child friendly but also very homey. She has a great back yard and is really close to a nice park. The only drawback is that she isn't in walking distance to our house so I may be taking the bus more often and John will drive. We'll have to work that out.

So, today was Emily's last day at Louise's. It was if Emily understood because she burst into tears as we left. It was very sweet.

Work sucks. I've decided that I hate my job. It's a long story but essentially my division is caught in the middle of everyone else's crappy work resulting in long hours, getting crap from the Minister's office and the Deputy Minister's office, and oh yah, from the divisions who are sending us their crap work. Nice, eh? Would you stay in this job? No, me neither. But do I have a choice? Of course not. So, here I am doing my best but doing nothing as well as I want to.

At least I have the next two days off - I'm slowly introducing Emily to the new daycare so she and I are home for two days with bits of them spent at Dawn's. I'm so thankful because I don't know if I could have spent one more minute at the office without testing the strength of the glass and hoping that it gave. Of course, I would only have fallen about five inches so it wouldn't have helped me any. I could have just started running though and I bet no one would have chased me because everyone I work with is just too damn busy.

The thing about our division is that we were created to improve the quality of stuff being sent to the minister (briefing notes, memos etc). The result now is that we improve the quality of the stuff and the quality coming to us seems to be getting worse. And no one seems to get that or care. We just keep doing our jobs and doing them really well. Until we stop doing them well, no one is going to do anything about the fact that we keep good information going to the minister with only 5 people. And when it isn't done well, it is because people send it to us so late. Do they get blamed? Of course not... we do. Are you sure you don't want my job?

Strawberries and ice cream are calling me.

No comments: