Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The best news I could get....

Dawn told me this morning that she thinks... get ready for it.... that Emily is READY FOR POTTY TRAINING! Wooooohooooo!

I have suspected this myself for a while, as has John. She is very interested in peeing - well, she's interested in saying "pee-pee," watching me pee, pretending to pee and wipe her bum. Nothing ever actually materializes but the interest is definitely there. She also likes to tell us after she has peed. Not entirely helpful when trying to get her to pee on the toilet.

We have a wee potty in the basement. She was liking it for a while - a place to sit and think only - but has lost interest. It isn't the best - it is a hand-me-down - and not very stable - she's fallen over - potty and all - a couple of times. Times where I thanked the gods that she indeed had not figured out how to pee in there... or worse.

So, I think I'll get a new potty and place it on the bedroom floor of the house and make a more resolved effort to GET ON WITH THIS. Which leads me to another comment - I can now completely understand why children with parents who work outside the home potty train later. It takes concerted effort and time. You have to be resolved. On weekends, I want to spend lots of time with her, and I do, but I just have not had the commitment or energy to really get into this. I know how to start - give her lots of fluids and keep putting her on the toilet. All day. As you can imagine, I'd rather be at the farm, sandbox etc than doing that. Although I also know that in a few months I'll want her completely trained...RIGHT NOW. So, I am resolved to start this and see it through, in concert with Dawn. And not to give in to what is easier or more fun because this will be totally worth it for all of us even if I'd rather be petting a cow with Emily than singing the pee song and cleaning up some puddles off the floor.

2 comments:

little b said...

yay, emily!! that's great news. I'm guessing she'll catch on to it pretty quickly. Next thing you know, she'll be solving differential equations.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with doing differential equations while sitting on the potty little b? Isn't that normal behaviour? It is in your hubbie's family (that and solving quantum mechanical dilemmas in the bath of course)
-E