Monday, October 02, 2006

First day, kind of

Today was the first full day with both girls at home, with Emily finished daycare... kind of. It was sort of unreal because John's mom, Rose, is here for the week so I have quite a buffer from the reality that will set in next week.

It was a really fun day actually. We went to the Parkdale Market and park this morning. Of course, Hope cried in the car on the way there resulting in screams and crying from Emily as well. But, then I just popped Hope in the Hug-a-Bub and she slept until we got back in the car (at which point she repeated the trip there). We shopped in the market getting gorgeous apples, brocolli, etc and then Emily played on the swings and slide.

The only really bad part of the day was putting Emily down for her nap. She totally resists me leaving the room. In fact, "resists" is too mild a term. She full out freaks out. I had to dig my heals in and let her cry today. It took over half an hour, with me periodically standing outside her door reassuring her, until she fell asleep. I figure it will take about 3 days of that until she realizes that (1) she isn't going back to Dawn's (2) she realizes I'll be here when she wakes up and (3) she realizes she can't win.

After her nap, we went to the sandbox where she, Omi and I made sandcastles while Hope dozed in the pram.

On a negative note, Hope, at 3 1/2 weeks old, has caught Emily's cold. What happened to the immunities provided by breastmilk? I guess it is no defence against a toddler who spends time in daycare. Anyway, it seems like it is already on the way out, thank goodness.

On another negative note (will it stop?), I have yeast in my breasts and have again provided the entertainment in my house by painting my nipples purple with gentian violet in order to cure it. Of course, this also means that Hope looks like a miniature version of Chuckles the Clown. Oh, and you can also, by way of this photo evidence, see the development of the baby acne that I promised. Isn't she gorgeous?

No comments: