Sunday, October 08, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving. It is my favourite holiday. It lacks the bustle and stress of Christmas preparations (although I love Christmas Day itself) and also has the advantage of often beautiful weather rather than frostbite temperatures and bountiful farmers' markets. I think my love of Thanksgiving however really comes from growing up in Niagara where it is such a celebration of harvest and every few houses have a fruit stand outfront and a pumpkin display and the weather is amazing and I spent it at craft sales and jumping in piles of leaves.

This morning we all went on a walk to check out the new footbridge over the Rideau Canal (which Emily refuses to recognize as a canal - "No, lake"). The walk was a little long for Emily who wanted to walk rather than ride in the stroller. Hope, of course, slept in the hug-a-bub the whole time. Great work-out for me - I'm hoping that with that and breastfeeding, any pregnancy belly will be gone in no time.

The turkey is now in the oven, the table set, the house smells amazing, the pumpkin pies are made and I'm about to hop in the shower so I can enjoy the rest of this great day. To add to the greatness, I got Hope to sleep right before I walked into Emily's room to put her down for her nap (which is now easy-peasy, I might add). Could it get any better than that?

1 comment:

little b said...

happy thanksgiving! since i just got home today from the race, we're going to celebrate next weekend. I'm already looking forward to the turkey and all the trimmings. it's not quite the same in texas, since it's not cool out, but it's still my favourite holiday too.