Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What's cooking Wednesday: Baltic fish

Shan, over at Tales from the Fairy Blogmother, started this little tradition of putting up the recipe for whatever you are cooking on Wednesday each week. Sognatrice, at Bleeding Espresso, adopted it, and now I'm going to do it (or try), too. When I first saw it, I thought it was a great idea and totally my kind of thing. But, until today, I really didn't feel organized enough to try it. Not that today was special in any way. I just seemed to have my shit together.

John and I love food. We are foodies, without the pretension that often accompanies that label. We love to cook. We love to eat. Granted, our menu has changed since Emily started eating real food - less spice, less Indian, less Thai, less 8:00 meals. But, that's okay, eventually her tastes will develop to the point where we'll get back there.

John and I both love to cook. I also love to bake. So, I'll try each Wednesday to put up whatever is for supper that night. However, if things are crazy, it might end up being a "What's baking Wednesday" instead. I bake something almost every day since I bake our own bread, so if I'm in a pinch and supper is looking more like leftovers or shawarma (our usual take away meal), then you'll get my baking of the day instead. Today, you get both baking and cooking. It's been a good day around here.

Baltic fish

Okay, so I took pictures of the the Baltic fish and the bread I baked, but for some reason they're not on my memory card, so no photos for this week. Sorry. As a result, I won't bother with my bread recipe until I can capture it on film for you. Onto the recipe:

4 5-oz firm white fish fillets (I used cod)
2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced (use Yukon Gold)
3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp horseradish
1 tbsp chopped fresh dill (1 tsp dried)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced

Rinse fish and pat dry. Set aside.
Boil potatoes and garlic until potatoes or tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and mash. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Evenly spread the mashed potatoes on bottom of a 5x8inch baking dish coated with butter or some oil. Lay fillets on top of potatoes and pour on lemon juice. In small bowl, combine sour cream, horseradish and dill. Spoon over fish. Top with red onion. Cover and bake for about 35 minutes. Enjoy. We did.

5 comments:

Shan said...

Karen, welcome to What's Cooking Wednesday! I'm looking forward to lots of new recipes to try out.

It's funny how much your meal planning changes once there's "picky" little ones around.

Now that the girls are both on a pretty regular schedule (both in bed by 8) Mike and I have started having a late "grown up" dinner after they're in bed. Sometimes we co-ordinate it with one of our favourite TV shows like Grey's Anatomy.

little b said...

Oh! I'm going to start 'what's cooking wednesday' too!

The fish sounds yum.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Yeah! It's a WCW party! This looks delicious...I'll have to work around some ingredients (i.e., ask my mommy to send them), but I'll definitely be making this in the summer. I've been trying to explain horseradish to P for the longest time....

Julie said...

This sounds delicious. I neer cook fishin the winter because ut stinks the house up too much, but I think I might be tempted by this one! Great idea by the by. I look forward to future Wednesday posts. Though I can't imagine I will be doing any of the bread baking!

Anonymous said...

Weird, must be on the same wave-length, cuz we had white fish (sole) and potatoes last night too.....must be a toddler/baby family thingy....still seems strange to me.

Always fun to see other people's recipes.
Jen