Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What's cooking Wednesday: Onion, Leek and Wild Mushroom Quiche

Since Beth's recipe of last week, I've had quiche on the brain, so that's what was cooking tonight. Specifically, onion, leek and wild mushroom with Emmenthal cheese.

I love quiche but I don't make it often enough. I should. I always have frozen pastry dough in the freezer. I love to make my own pastry. For those of you who find it daunting, grow some and try it. If you're afraid of failure or you think it's too hard, all the more reason to challenge yourself. You will have some failures. Learn to laugh at yourself and chalk it up to a learning experience. It isn't that hard... it just starts out that way because you don't know what you're doing yet. As you go along, it will get easier and easier.

I use the recipe on the back of the Tenderflake box. It makes enough for six single pie crusts. The beauty is that pastry dough freezes beautifully, so I make it all and freeze in single portions what I don't use. This way, I always have pastry ready to go. Just take it out to thaw the day before then pop it in the fridge until you're ready to use it.

Onion, Leek and Wild Mushroom Quiche with Emmenthal Cheese


Okay, so, no real recipe, just an explanation of what I did. I sauteed one chopped leek with one onion in about a tablespoon of butter until really soft. Then I added a combination of shitake, oyster and cremini mushrooms. I added salt and pepper and thyme. I would have added white wine if I'd had some.

I rolled out the crust and put it in the plate and pricked the bottom and brushed on some good mustard (I used a lemon dill seedy mustard). In a separate bowl, mix together 4 eggs and one cup of milk. Spread the mushroom mixture over the bottom of the crust. Pour on the egg mixture. Top with shredded Emmenthal cheese and push cheese down into the egg. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before eating. Wait for the kudos.

2 comments:

Shan said...

Love quiche recipes around here. I've never heard/thought of spreading mustard on the pie crust first. Will have to give that a try. Thanks.

little b said...

The mustard-on-pie-crust idea came from the Canadian Living cookbook. You don't need very much, and you can't even directly taste mustard but you can notice it's not there once you've used it a few times.