Friday, March 09, 2007

No one told me

I'm having a terrible time with Hope. She was up last night from 7:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. I think it's teething. But no one has ever described it to me like this so I don't really know if it's her teeth that are causing all the problems.

She has no fever today so that is an improvement but she is in obvious pain, she's crying constantly. I finally gave her some Motrin and some Orajel and that helped a bit, coupled with breastfeeding.

I'm really at my wits' end. Thankfully, John is taking Emily for the morning so I can deal just with one. I never, ever knew it could be this hard. Again, another time when I wonder why we're living so far away from someone who can help us.

So, for those of you out there who have experienced nasty teething, is that what is going on with her? Her gums look inflamed but they are hard to the touch and I can't feel or see anything obvious coming through. She arches her back and cries/screams. She rubs her nose and mouth all the time. She drools like a fiend. She also seems constipated.

Emily never experienced anything like this so it is new to me. I'd love to hear some stories to confirm that there is nothing serious wrong and that it will end soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds bad. I know with Gillian I had to give her doses of Motrin and Origel all day every day during these times. I always felt I was overmedicating, and truthfully, they made little difference. I always was bemused at parent stories about the calming effects of the organic stuff (Camillia) cuz it had absolutely no effect other than to provide a teething toy (the tube, that is). The tip off for us was that (surprise surprise) Gillian was very very fussy (reminiscent of the colic days), and I had to carry her in a sling, again, all day every day during this tough time. For us, teething was as bad as the first few months, no joke.

Do you see the outline of teeth at all in Hope's mouth? Sometimes that is an indicator of things to come. When will you learn the outcome of the peedie bag experiment? Minus the fever now, it is hard to say what the problem is.

I'm sending my very best thoughts from Little Italy your way!

Jen

little b said...

I really wish I were coming this week to visit. I'm sorry it's so difficult. At least John is taking Emily. Maybe you and Hope can have a nap this morning.