It seems very hippie vegetarian but don't let that scare you off. One bite and you will embrace the tassels, guitars and free love. It takes a little bit of preparation, especially if you don't have a food processor with a grater, but if you have a friend nearby, make it a grating party!
Cauliflower-Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust
2 cups packed, grated raw potato
1/4 cup grated onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg white, lightly beaten
a little oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp thyme
1 medium cauliflower, in small pieces
1/4 cup milk
1 cup packed grated cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Oil a 9-inch pie plate.
2. Combine grated potato and onion, salt and egg white in a small bowl and mix well. Transfer to the pie plate and pat into place, building up the sides into a handsome edge.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, then brush the crust with a little oil and bake it 10 more minutes. Remove from oven, and turn the temperature down to 375 F.
4. Heat the olive oil in large skillet. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, stir, and cover. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally (about 8 to 10 minutes).
5. Spread half of cheese onto the baked crust (ok if it's still hot). Spoon the sauteed veggies on top, then sprinkle on the remaining cheese. Beat the eggs and milk together, and pour this over the top. Dust lightly with paprika.
6. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until set. Serve hot or warm.
It's great the next day, too!