Sunday, June 10, 2007

Hopey unplugged

I find myself with some time on my hands. I could clean, garden, cook but instead I've decided to go hog wild and blog. More satisfying and tastes great, too.

John pointed out a few days ago that the few photos I posted from our get away last week were all Emily all the time. Where is Hope, he asked? And he was right. The wee one was no where to be found. I'm rectifying that today.

The truth is that Hope is playing a dominant role in everything now. She is commando crawling (think military-style sneaking up on the enemy kind of move) everywhere, even falling off the one step we have on the main floor at least twice that I know of (no bruises, just a few complaints). Last week she started playing peekaboo with her bib and now the curtains or her arm or whatever she can find. Two days ago, after several days of Emily singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and doing the hand motions to go along, Hope started doing the hand motions, too. When she wants us to sing it, she sticks her chubby little arm in the air and starts squeezing her wee hands open and shut. I think my heart is permanently liquefied. She chatters non-stop, often repeating the same noises she just made but experimenting with her voice to make slight changes. As of two days ago, she started sleeping on her stomach. To me, this is a big mile marker when babies head towards toddlerhood. They finally figure out how great it feels to plop in your bed on your stomach and zone out. For one night it made a difference in her totally crappy sleep patterns.

Emily has started making up games to play with Hope. She runs from one side of Hope's highchair to the other squealing "Where is me, Hope?" and Hope anticipates where Emily will show up and laughs hysterically when they find each other. I love to watch the two of them play together. Already I daydream about them chasing each other to the basement to play house together or running outside to dig in the garden together. I have a constant feeling of contentment while I enjoy my life with them now and anticipate what it will be.

As much as I complain about my lack of sleep, my relationship with Hopey (Emily's nickname for Hope has stuck. Hope of the future: I apologize for this) has changed since she stopped sleeping well. For the longest time I could stick her in her crib, turn on her little light and music acquarium, walk out and not hear from her again for hours. No longer. When that all stopped and she didn't want boob either, I was forced to rock her, something she has never wanted before. All of a sudden my non-cuddler started laying her head down on my shoulder and gripping my arms with those pudgy hands. As much as I complain, I really love it. The cuddling is the one thing I've missed with Hope. Emily is all about the cuddles. Hope is all about the activity. I'll continue to complain about how tired I am and why can't this kid sleep, already?! but you'll all know that as much as I complain there are some moments that I'm loving that I wouldn't have had if she was sound asleep in her crib.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I am *loving* the bathing suit shot! Look at the big meaty thighs on that girl! How can veggies and a bit of milk do that to a kid?

On the issue of cuddly: I sympathize. Gillian was my big goofy while Gwen is definitely more of a cuddler. Good thing, maybe, that Hopey isn't one. With those muscles, she'd surely snap you in two!

Jen

little b said...

yay for pictures of Hope! I was just thinking the other day that I might not have enough pictures for her first year photo book. So, keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Oh golly! SO CUTE! I'm melting and I've never even met the munchkin! How can I pass up a smile that like (c; And Emily looks so happy with her too! Let me tell you... when my patients wake me up at night... they don't want to cuddle...
-Erika