Saturday, October 27, 2007

What's cooking Wednesday: this time with the recipe

Yeah, I realize today is not Wednesday but I'm still owing that pot roast recipe and since last night I finished the assignment for my course (!), I have all this time on my hands for the rest of the weekend. Hah-hah!

We did finally eat the pot roast on Thursday night. It was great and I highly recommend this recipe. Also, being a slow cooker recipe you can ignore it most of the day, which is a big bonus. This recipe comes from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry, the newest from the Podleski sisters.

Ponderoasta


3/4 cup root beer (not diet)
1/3 cup hickory-flavoured bbq sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp grated gingerroot
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp minced garlice
1/2 tsp each ground cumin and chili powder
1 sirloin tip roast (3 to 3.5 lbs)
salt and pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
2 tbsp cornstarch

To make sauce, combine root beer, bbq sauce, tomato paste, lemon juice, gingerroot, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, cumin and chili powder ina small saucepan. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and let sauce boil gently for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Sprinkle roast lightly with s&p. Heat oil in large skillet and brown roast on all sides.

Place roast in slow cooker. Put onion wedges around it. Pour sauce over it. Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 8 hours (I did 6 hours).

Remove roast and onions. Pour sauce from slow cooker into a medium saucepan. Skim off as much fast as possible. I put the roast and sauce in the fridge over night, which made it dead easy to remove the fat. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with an equal amount of water and stir until smooth. Add to sauce and bring to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly, until sauce has thickened slightly.

To serve, slice roast thinly and spoon hot sauce over top.

We L-O-V-E-D this. I'm not usually a pot roast person as I like my beef medium rare to rare but this was great. It was the sauce that did it. Delicious!

1 comment:

Family Adventure said...

I think I'll have to get a slow cooker. I am a terrible cook, but something that cooks itself I might actually be able to handle.

The result sounded yummy! Thanks for sharing!

- Heidi