Tuesday, October 23, 2007

You've gotta see it to believe it

I retrieved my camera yesterday after leaving it in the back seat of Julie's car so now I can give you the full story of my day away with the girls on Saturday.

The four of us (Julie I., Julie L., Meredith and I) decided to go to Perth for the afternoon. We had a lovely lunch at Fiddleheads. The Red Hat Society was meeting there at the same time which, if you've never seen it before, is definitely worth seeing once in your life. Just for the purple velour track suits.



After lunch we stopped by Julie I's cottage so she could give us the tour. It was a lovely spot. From there we went to the main event: an antique/flea market place that Julie had told us all about. It exceeded my expectations and went beyond her explanation. But, it's not really something you can explain to someone. You have to LIVE it. And so, my internet friendlies, live it for yourself:



If you ever past by this sign, you have to stop. Rideau "Antiques" is so worth the stop, just for the element of crazy.



This is only a smattering of what I saw outside on the property. It was row upon row of this. You never know what you'll see around the next corner. I loved the old Laura Secord candy display. I would love to know who would actually want this. Because it is all for sale. And, shockingly, for high prices. I saw a totally rusted anvil for $285. Are anvils really that rare? Because Wile E. Coyote never seemed to have trouble finding one.



If you are even a little bit claustrophobic, this is not the store for you. Me, who isn't at all clasutrophobic (or so I thought) had to leave the upstairs when I started to feel a bit panicky. The photo above is the entrance into the back room. At the back of this room is the baking ware. It was literally piled on the floor and came up to our waist. I pulled something off the top and things started to slide. Meredith and I were wrapping our arms around the pile trying to stop the avalanche, meanwhile laughing ourselves silly. It was so totally absurd. And then there was this:



Good thing we didn't want to look at anything in that cabinet. The store, to put it mildly, is crowded. Not really meant for this kind of shopper:



We had a great time. We laughed a lot. I haven't had an afternoon with these girls in a long time, or any group of girls for that matter. I loved it. We're doing it again in a few weeks. We're planning a run to Target in Watertown, NY. I'm hoping that the girls' afternoons with these great friends becomes a monthly habit.

We all need girls.

5 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Looks like you had a great time! That store was crazy, though! I do have a bit of claustrophobia, so I think I'd stay FAAAR away :)

- Heidi

Julie said...

I love the monthly event idea! Julie might have to abstain for a little while.

Shan said...

Looks like it was a great day Karen. I have to admit those pictures made my hyperventilate just a little bit.

Anonymous said...

That sounds GREAT! Like a yard sale, a junk heap, and an antique shop all (literally) piled into one (c; Very fun. So glad for you!
-Erika

Anonymous said...

Oh, we have been meaning to go there for AGES now! Sounds like such a cool place for a junk lover like me!