Thursday, November 15, 2007

Books, books and more books.... and sometimes more than once

I was over at Postcards from the Mothership yesterday, one of my daily stops. Dani wrote a post about books that Britons have re-read and asked Postcards readers to comment on what books they have re-read. Instead of commenting, I thought I would list them here instead.

I re-read a lot of books when I was young. I do it less so now because I have less time to read and so many books I want to read. Given that my memory isn't so hot anymore, I probably can't remember all the books I re-read as a child/teen but I'll do my best to pull a decent list together here.

1. Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
2. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
3. Cue for Treason by Geoffrey Trease
4. The Tripod Trilogy by John Christopher
5. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
6. The Black Stallion by Walter Farley
7. The Three Investigators series by Robert Arthur Jr.
8. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
9. This Can't be Happening at MacDonald Hall by Gordon Korman
10. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Okay, so this is not an exhaustive list at all. I re-read a lot more than those when I was little - Ramona the Pest, Trumpet of the Swan, The Tower of Geburah all come to mind rather quickly and I know that there were many more. But, I'm seeing a trend here. There are only two books or series on that list of ten that I read and re-read as an adult: numbers 1 and 2.

Well, I'll just chalk that up to "so many books, so little time" rather than "so little time, very little reading." That would just be too depressing a notion to face.

What books have you re-read?

3 comments:

Shan said...

Loved the Ramona books when I was a kind. What about Judy Blume. I read hers over and over again. I have read The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind (multiple times). That's the best I can come up with off the top pf my head.

little b said...

My list looks almost like yours. But add "Island of the blue dolphins". i read that at least a dozen times.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Kinda scary how we all read the same books! I read mine every year b/c I was home with croup a few weeks in the winter. I'd quite literally read alphabetically (c:

I don't recognize that trilogy though (number 4 or 5)
-Erika