Monday, November 19, 2007

Welcome, Omi

I've been looking forward to today for several weeks.

Today, Omi arrived.

John's mum, affectionately known by Emily's generation as Omi, is here until Friday morning. Emily was beside herself with anticipation. I picked Omi up at the airport while Emily was at preschool and then Omi (Rose to me) went with Hope and me to pick Emily up. Typically, when I get Emily from preschool, the routine is that all the parents go into the class where all the kids are pretending to sleep on the mat and then they all yell surprise and jump up (like we're somehow surprised they woke up?). Emily peeked open her eyes for a second, saw Omi standing there and ran over yelling "OMI!" and jumped into Rose's arms while the other kids were still snoring. It was such a pure moment. I loved it.

Since then Emily has kept Omi hopping - reading, doing crafts, playing store and more store and more store. Emily has also made a stark realization: Hope is now a factor and she has to share Omi with Hope.

Apparently she doesn't like this development. She asked me tonight what we're doing tomorrow. I told her I have to do a few errands in the morning while she plays with Omi.

"You taking Hope?"
"No. Hope is going to stay home with you and Omi."
"NO! I don't want Hope!"

When I told her she has to share Omi... well, that went down like bad medicine. Poor Hope. Only one year old and she's going to be in for the fight of her young life tomorrow. But there is no way in heaven or hell I am taking any kids with me tomorrow when I have the rare chance to go somewhere without them.

Even if it is just to get the winter tires put on the car.

Also, on Wednesday night, John and I get to go out! Alone! No kids! The last time we did that was in August when my Dad and Donna were here. We have no babysitter in Ottawa and no real options to speak of so far. It really does make us appreciate even more the opportunities to go out when they come up. I just wish they would come up more often.

So, what to do? Dinner? Movie? You know what? It doesn't even matter.

3 comments:

little b said...

What about dinner AND a movie? gasp!

I hope Rose survives tomorrow. And that Hope comes out unscathed.

Anonymous said...

Yah... I think bethy's right -- go for the whole hog!
-Erika

Shan said...

Yeah for Omi! Abby had a hard time sharing in the beginning too. Have fun on your night out, whatever you decide to do.