Tuesday, January 08, 2008

One or two good ideas a year

Once in a while I get a good idea. I seem to be a bit short on them lately but the last two days I've had two. Okay, I'll admit that once I thought them over a bit I knew that someone somewhere has done this before. In fact, probably a lot of people have done these things before. Eh, I'm still rather pleased with myself.

First idea was yesterday's lunch. I am sick of making sandwiches, macroni and cheese or tuna. I opened the fridge and a lone roll of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls stared back at me, leftover from a Christmas hors d'oeuvre. I grabbed them, filled each roll with cream cheese mixed with ricotta cheese, caramelized onions and a small piece of ham. They were awesome! The girls loved them. And the delicious filling covered up that weird Pillsbury aftertaste.

Idea two is a treasure hunt. This morning Emily pretended that a piece of paper with some scribbles on it was a map. I had a brilliant idea right then. While she has been in bed for quiet time, I drew a map of the main floor of the house and marked treasure around the map (numbers 1 to 7). I hid bits of treasure in those spots. I used a toy that I was saving for her birthday (but to be honest she would probably enjoy more now) that had several pieces to it. Voila! A fun game that will (hopefully) teach her what a map is and how to use one. I'll let you know if it works well or if it turns into a three-year-old meltdown which is entirely likely based on her behaviour lately. Off for tea and then to don my hunting jacket!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Tuna Cups are a regular here in our house and they are made with crescent rolls. Let me know if you want to know more. They are total comfort food for me.

Shan said...

Both great ideas Karen!