Wednesday, January 09, 2008

What's cooking Wednesday


Welcome to Week Two of delving into my newest cookbook: Just One Pot. I'm thinking that the author really should have named it: Just One Pot (If You Don't Count Those Other Two Pots That You'll Probably Use). I really liked tonight's recipe but the recipe called for three pots. What gives? The back of the book cover reads: Delicious, easy meals that are simple to clean up because they're made in just one pot. Perhaps I'm getting caught up in the title and the promise the back of the book makes but I'm a bit of a stickler for accuracy. The fact is they are simple to clean up but only because I didn't do the dishes tonight.

On with the recipe. John and I declared it a winner. Emily ate potatoes. Hope ate ketchup mixed with sour cream. Mmm, mmm good.

Greek lemon lamb with new potatoes

1 lb small new potatoes scrubbed
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 lemon
2 zucchini, grated
1 2/3 cups baby leaf spinach (or frozen and thawed like I used)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 lb ground lamb
3 tbsp chopped mint
2 tbsp plain yogurt or sour cream
salt and pepper

Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and keep warm. Put a second pan of water on to boil. When boiling vigorously, add the spinach. Bring back to a boil and cook for 30 seconds, then drain in a colander. Splash with cold water and press against the side to extract maximum water, then squeeze into a ball and chop coarsely. Or, if you use frozen, put in pan with 2 tbsp water until thawed then drain and squeeze.

In heavy-bottomed skillet or other wide-based pan, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat and stir in the green onions and garlic. After a couple of minutes raise the heat and add the meat, cooking until nicely browned. Season with salt, pepper and then grate in some lemon zest (about 1 tbsp or so). Squeeze in the juice of the lemon. Cook until the lemon juice has amalgamated with the buttery meat juices and turned syrupy.

Stir in 2 tbsp of the mint and the zucchini. Toss around for a few minutes until the zucchini begins to weep and soften but remains distinctive; don't overcook. Stir in the spinach and remaining mint. Reheat and stir in the yogurt. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve the meat over the potatoes.

I love lamb but I don't eat it all that often. This gives me another recipe to add to my small collection (okay, it isn't a collection at all) of lamb recipes, and it isn't expensive either. This is a winner.

1 comment:

Shan said...

I think I'm going to give this one a try. Thanks Karen.