Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ah, that's better

Today's work in the garden, and it was significantly more than last time, felt a lot better. I dug and dug and dug and I feel great right now! Like a top-of-her-game 20.... okay, 30-something. The difference? Well, let me tell you a story....

I decided to undertake a Cleanse. You know... a CLEANSE, the most popular thing on the block right now. I just haven't been feeling "right" in a while, although I couldn't put my finger on why and I am so tired. All the time. Even after Hope has slept through the night FOUR NIGHTS IN A ROW, people! So, I contacted Beth's good friend Marlene who is a Doctor of Chinese Medicine and general health guru. She walks people through cleanses with a lot of support as well as providing all the materials of course, even from as far away as Texas.

So, Marlene's first instructions were to cut back on my carbs and sugars in order to get myself back in order generally (she gave me a lot more technical information that didn't include "get myself back in order" but I'll spare you all that), feeling rested and ready for the nutritional benefits of The Cleanse. So, I started jacking up my protein intake - meats, cheeses, all that good stuff - and cutting back on the carbs that I love so much. The first couple of days were hard but not too bad. The third day though my spastic colon kicked into gear and by day four, well, let's just say that Chapters won't be letting me through their doors again for a long time.

I was in a lot of pain and colonic distress. For years I've had this problem and it is always worse with high fat intake. For some reason, I guess because it hasn't bothered me in so long, it didn't register that I'd be faced with some serious issues on the high-protein, low-carb diet.

Can you tell I was tired?

Anyway, I cut the fat, still kept the carbs lowish but brought all fruit back in because, hey, I had to eat something. Anyway, testing will result (since in the midst of this I found out that my initial diagnosis with these problems years ago was clearly made by the doctor who graduated last in her class. I've always said that someone had to graduate last in the class in med school; just hope it isn't the doctor you're seeing. Right when I truly needed some competence, I ended up with the dunce. Anyway, she was all wrong I found out when I accessed my records and the nurse essentially told me the doctor had been wrong. Real nice), The Cleanse will still happen and hopefully I'll continue to feel good as I do now that I've got everything "working" properly again.

Whew, too much colon information, I know. But I also know that it's the reason some of you come here. So, this is a shout out to you, my peeps.

All this to say, I'm on my game today. I feel better than I've felt in a while, and I might just shed a few pounds when all is said and done.

Now if the damn Cleanse would just arrive. I'm slightly fearful that Customs might be a bit suspicious of all those herbs coming my way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, um, well, wow. And you are right, I suppose this is the stuff I'm wanting when I come here. I just didn't know it until now... :)

Good luck with the cleanse, and may your tether take you further away than just Chapters when this is all over.

Shan said...

Definitely all stuff I needed to know. Good Luck with the cleanse! I know all about the bowel issues. It was a major adjustment to eating a diet much higher in fibre than I was used too. Not fun!

Julie said...

It seems that all the women I know have bowel issues. Mine tend to lean in the opposite direction and I have to eat an inhumane amount of fiber, but at least I figured it out and no longer have the pain that it can bring. Good luck with the cleanse (or getting it first of all!). Can't wait to read all about it.