Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What's cooking Wednesday and Cleanse: Day 12


I'm actually giving you a non-lentil, non-brown rice, super-yummy and very easy recipe. Chicken, of course, but great, great, great. I found this recipe last summer in a cookbook my mum gave me the Christmas we all spent in Dominican Republic about a year before she died. We didn't exchange gifts that year because of the expense of the trip but my mum, being my mum, had to give Beth and I a little something because it was Christmas and that meant gifts for her girls. This one was a great winner. I look forward to exploring it more in my next theme month for WCW.

The cookbook is called A Year of the Best: Seasonal Recipes from the Best of Bridge. If you're Canadian, the Bridge cookbooks are as familiar to use as Company's Coming and it is highly likely that your mum, if not you, has at least one Bridge cookbook on her shelf.

This is the simplest recipe going but the flavour is amazing and it stays really juicy, which is some kind of feat for boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Thai Grilled Chicken

Marinade
1/3 cup fresh basil
1/3 cup fresh mint
1/3 cup fresh cilantro
3 tbsp peeled, chopped ginger
2-3 garlic cloves
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tbsp veg oil (I used olive)
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 Anaheim pepper, chopped (I used jalapeƱo)

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 kilo)

Process marinade ingredients in food processor or blender until finely chopped.

Arrange chicken in glass baking dish. Pour marinade over. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Remove chicken from marinade and grill until chicken is no longer pink inside.

That's it! The best part, apart from the fact that this was mostly Cleanse-friendly, is that I had all the herbs growing in the garden.

Today was better Cleanse-wise. I did well; I feel great again. Back on track. I had a bit of salmon mixed with broccoli for lunch and then this chicken (only a bit though) for supper with tons of veg. All good.

4 comments:

Shan said...

This sounds like something I'm going to have to try.

Julie said...

That sounds awesome. Definately on the list for next weeks meals.

Can't say I am familiar with Bridge cookbooks. Then again, linving in Quebec and having a mom that didn't really like to cook a whole lot could answer for that.

Heather... said...

YUM!! Can't do the meat yet on my cleanse but had a super delicious Creamy Asparagus Risotto for lunch. I get fish on Sunday, my last day of the cleanse!! And I totally agree with the portion size and eating way more vegetables. On my cleanse, I'm not to eat any fruit or raw veg after 4pm so it doesn't ferment in my gut. There are lessons to be learned...

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see a recipe for the breasts rather than thighs-- we'll have to give this a try. I love Thai and my husband likes to grill so it's a combo made in heaven for us.