Tuesday, October 14, 2008

All done but the leftovers

Our Thanksgiving weekend was great. How was yours?

My only complaint is the freaking long drive it is to get to St. Catharines from Ottawa. I'm saying that as if I didn't know it before this weekend. Of course I did. And yet, I still complain.

Due to some unexpected circumstances - heavy traffic, broken DVD player, tantruming two-year-old, child who needed to pee, slow service at the Swiss Chalet, the drive down took about 8 hours. It should take about 6. On the way back, it took about 7.5 due to heavy traffic and a bad accident on the 403 that close two of the three lanes of traffic. Yikes.

Aside from all that, we had a great weekend. The weather was unbelievable. I actually wished I had shorts on yesterday. The colours of the leaves were gorgeous, the sun shone the whole weekend, we were outside a lot. On Saturday, John and I went to the St. Catharines Farmer's Market to get the veg for Sunday's feast. Later that day our little family went to Ridgeville to have supper with my Aunt Sharon and Uncle Dave and my cousin Janet and her husband Terry. We spent about an hour playing outside on their property that used to be an orchard. John drove the ride-on lawn mower and towed us in a trailer behind up through the fruit trees. It was really fun. After that the girls played in the old tree house.

On Sunday, the girls played with Omi, pretty much all day, and their cousins who arrived around lunch while John and I prepared the turkey and fixings. It was a great day of chats, visits, wonderful smells and laughs. The dinner turned out great with lots of veg and lots of pumpkin pie. Mmmmm.

On Monday morning we all headed to the Port Dalhousie Carousel, still 5 cents a ride and the best carousel around - so smooth and horses are lovingly maintained originals from about 1920 I think. I've talked about it here before. Hope really loved it this year. Almost as much as her Uncle Steve who rode it more than any of the kids.

As my camera is officially on its last legs (yet again - really in cameras I'm starting to think that you get what you pay for. That, or maybe don't let your kids pretend to be Karsh like I do) so I don't have many photos to show. I'm going to rely on my relatives to email me photos and then I'll post them as I get them. For now, here are some carousel shots.


I hope your weekend was as great as ours.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. The weather here was great too. Thanksmas was fun and I will hopefuly post some pics tonight.