Monday, December 01, 2008

A couple of important notes noted from away

First, I can't let the news develop any longer without commenting, knowing as you do what a political junkie I tend to be (although I don't mention it or discuss it here very often). The stuff going on on the federal political scene is (a) inspiring (b) a long time in coming (c) scares the shite out of me because I'm afraid, deftly afraid, that the Conservatives will pull the stuff we've become accustomed to and prorogue Parliament simply because they are unwilling to allow the will of the people to become reality. For those of you who will argue that a coalition government made up of the Liberals and NDP with the support of the Bloc that declares that Parliament no longer has confidence in the government is not the will of the people or democratic let me say this: about 54% of Canadians voted in the election of October 14. More than half of those people voted for a party other than the Conservative Party, proven by the fact that the Conservatives have a minority.

And yet a number of callers, commenters, pundits and Conservative Party members call this move by the new coalition and those who support them undemocratic.

Really, it is the most democratic move I've seen in Canadian politics in years.

Second, Andrea at A Peek Inside the Fishbowl posted a review of my package Christmas Done For You that is for sale through my business Sugarplum Fairy Homebaking. Go check it out!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I've been waiting for you to come back on line so that I can say "How cool is that!!" Any orders from Andrea's posting?

Second, Marty is almost giddy with delight with what's happening in the political arena. It's all we talk about at home, at work, in the car. I'm lucky to have some equal minded political junkies here to discuss this with. Although I truly believe the coalition isn't going to happen, the end of Harper seems to be on the horizon, and that makes me happy.