Sunday, January 04, 2009

This kid keeps surprising me

Hope often surpasses my expectations and tonight was no different.

I've been telling her, almost everyday this week, that she'll be starting to learn to use the potty this week and that if she has any successful deposits, she'll earn Smarties. She's been excited. The girl loves her Smarties.

She has occasionally asked to try the potty but her only successes so far, barring one accidental pee, has been some resounding gas. I keep telling her that toot-toots don't equal Smarties.

Tonight she walked over, sat down, grunted a few times and dropped a bomb in there. Like it was an everyday occurrence. And excuse me, but where is my Smartie?

You could say I was floored. You could also say that no toddler has every received such praise and adulation.

For her, she was more interested in why that Smartie was not yet in her hand.

And so perhaps it won't be the trial that I experienced with Emily. I'm not making any bets though. I'm expecting some hard times ahead but so far, as with most things, Hope has surprised me and surpassed my expectations and made life a little easier.

What a gal!

4 comments:

Pam said...

Wow! How truly exciting! Way to go Hope and I trust you have a full supply of smarties on hand! Good luck!

Julie said...

Yeah Hope! Wouldn't it just the best best gift if she played along and didn't balk like Em did? I'll do a little dance to the poop gods for youl

Shan said...

Yay Hope! Do you think she'd be willing to give Maya a pep talk? Maya is a big potty tooter too. Since Christmas she's been asking to wear underpants, but it doesn't seem to make much difference to her if she's peeing in them or a pull up. Just as long as it's not the toilet.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, these second children truly amaze me. Gwen just up and decided, literally from one day to the next, that she was "a big girl." And she's even dry at night (although I still keep her in a pull up out of fear of the midnight flood). Go Hope go!