Friday, February 20, 2009

Feeling very nervous

So I've got a baking order through my business, Sugarplum Fairy Homebaking, for a birthday cake.  The cake order is for a 1-year old's birthday.  The cake is intended to look like wooden play blocks spelling out the child's name.  

I'm scared.

In general, I've declared that I suck at decorating birthday cakes.  I did very well with the Wilton Dora cake pan but I've had some disasters too.  So, right now, I'm in the middle of a practice cake (I won't be making a lot of money on this order but I will learn a lot so I think it's worth it).  I sure hope it goes well.  Otherwise, I'm in big trouble.

I'm thinking that it might be worth my while to take a course in cake decorating.  I can see a market in this but I want to feel more confident in my abilities.

So, aside from taking care of a sick Emily today, I'll also be working on this cake.  Any tips for successful decorating?  

I'm thinking there may be some liquid courage consumed later to help me through the process.

No comments: