Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What's cooking Wednesday

I'm back!  At least for this week.... I somehow have my act together tonight to put up a post for WCW.  It's been a while.

Tonight I made a great new chicken recipe that will likely become a summer favourite around here.  It is from a favourite cookbook of mine that I've featured here many times before, Crazy Plates.

Chicks on Sticks

2 tbsp soy sauce and brown sugar
1 tbsp each olive oil and grated lemon zest
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large shallot, minced (I used red onion)
1 1/2 tsp grated gingeroot
1 tsp each ground cumin and ground coriander
4 (I used 3) boneless skinless chicken breast halve, cut into 1-inch cubes
8 wooden or metal skewers

For marinade, combine all ingredients except chicken in a small bowl.  Pour marinade over chicken pieces in a large, plastic re-sealable bag.  Make sure all pieces are coated.  Marinate overnight or all day.

If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 20 minutes before using to prevent burning.  Prepare grill.  Thread chicken onto skewers.  Grill 4-5 minutes per side until done.

These were a big hit with John, Emily and I.  Hope decided to eat one bean tonight for supper.  I guess nothing can top liver in her books.  Ugh.  I'll definitely be making these again.  The chicken stayed very moist and the marinade penetrated through each piece.  Lots and lots of flavour.

1 comment:

Little Lady Cakes said...

Yum. This looks like a great recipe!