Friday, December 25, 2009

A Merry Christmas to all....

and it's almost goodnight.

Our day has been wonderful. A quick synopsis:

  • girls got up at a totally reasonable time: 7:30 and 8:00.
  • Stockings were opened. I almost revealed the Santa Claus hoax by accident but I think I saved it with some quick thinking.
  • Everyone got dressed/showered and then we had breakfast. I made an oven-baked french toast which was NOT a hit. I always like a special breakfast; we always had chelsea buns growing up (and when I was an adult) so I like do something out of the ordinary. I may have to revise that next year since it really isn't appreciated. Maybe I'll save it for when the kids are older.
  • Present opening: Hope's castle, which I was worried would satisfy her Santa request but she would never play with has been a HUGE hit; any extra presents were just a second thought for her. Emily got her magic set and loved mastering the tricks.
  • the two biggest surprises: John got me a new camera, way better than my previous version. I love it! And through Santa John got our family a Wii! Needless to say we were all thrilled with that and bowled and played baseball on and off through the day.
  • And I realized something about myself that I wish I'd realized long ago: I overdo Christmas presents. The kids don't need much to make them happy: the castle and magic kit and the Wii was sufficient. All the rest was unnecessary for them. I am promising myself to remember that for future Christmases starting next year: pared down will make everyone just as happy.
  • I made the best turkey I've ever made (no, I don't brine it or do anything crazy - I just roast it; I don't even baste it but I do slather it with butter before it goes in); I think some of the credit has to go to the farmer who raised this bird - local, freshly killed, awesome. I took it out right at the perfect time, the breasts were super juicy but cooked through, the stuffing was awesome (as usual... I rock at stuffing) and John and I timed everthing perfectly to be on the table with no waiting for that one last thing to cook. I was really on my game this year and particularly happy with the whipped potatoes.
  • And now Omi is putting the kids to bed and then it's game night for the grown-ups!
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Day and enjoy a nice, relaxed Boxing Day tomorrow.

No comments: