Wednesday, May 10, 2006

If I was 70-odd years old, I would not be here

Walking through my building this morning, I took note of something that I've noticed before. In my building, in this government department, there are a lot of old people who should be out there enjoying their retirement years. These are not people in their 50s or early sixties. These are people who are definitely in their 70s and are here on contract, probably after long careers here as foreign service officers. They look happy enough. They don't seem to begrudge being here... but what the frack? I think it's sad that they don't have something they'd rather be doing. I know they have good pensions. They probably bought their houses in Ottawa when they were going for about $30,o00 and are now worth $300,000 minimum. That's a decent return.

I just think it is really sad when work becomes someone's life and s/he can't define her or himself without it. If I was retired, I would be doing everything I always wanted to be doing while I was working. I am totally living for retirement. That's also sad being that I am only 34. Only 30 years to go!

1 comment:

little b said...

34!! that sounds funny. happy birthday, i hope you have a great day