Wednesday, May 03, 2006

It's during the night that reality shows its ugly face

Things seemed so great yesterday but I did have a suspicion that it wouldn't last. That Emily would, in some way, react harshly to her new situation. As in most suspicions I have about her, I was right. She went to bed fairly well (considering what a fight it has been for us recently) but she woke up crying at 11:30. Thought it was her teeth. Gave Motrin. Spent next hour trying to get her out of my arms and into her crib. Failed. She was very happy to fall asleep... as long as it was on top of me in the chair in her room. Eventually I gave in and took her to our bed hoping for a miracle. None came. Instead, I had the usual flip-flop show that she does when she is in there with me. After about 30 minutes or so I took her back to her room, forced her in her crib, sat in the chair and listened to her cry until John came in as reinforcements about 30 seconds later. Spent next hour and a half listening to John patiently attempting to get her to sleep in her crib. His perseverance paid off and she finally went in and went to sleep.

John says he came back to bed at 2:00ish. I swear the clock said 3:00.

Emily was up again at 5:40. This time I held her for as long as she wanted and when she said "dodo," meaning she wanted in her crib, she actually stayed there. Normally, lately, she says dodo and then promptly cries when you obey her instructions. Anyway, I was back in bed by 6:15 or so and then didn't wake up until 7:30.

This inane amount of detail brought to you by me who can't focus on anything besides our lack of sleep. You can tell I'm totally out of practice in regards to losing sleep. Oh woe is me when September rolls around.

Anyway, to follow on that, we had big tears, clutching and kissing my face when we tried to leave her at Dawn's this morning. Luckily for Emily, it is out of sight out of mind and her anti-tear drug seems to be wooden blocks. Apparently after 30 seconds without us she was building mega towers.

I hope Dawn doesn't have too tough a day with our overtired munchkin.

No comments: