Sunday, December 10, 2006

Emily and her nap

Emily is refusing naps as of three days ago. This throws a real wrench in things for me. It is the only time during the day, besides the evening that I have to myself. Now I'm faced with the dilemma of trying to force it on her (my current strategy) or letting it go and hope it comes back. I know that she still needs a nap. She's definitely tired after lunch and when she has missed the nap the last three days, she's a real bear by supper. I also don't want to just let it go and then lose the routine of offering her a nap because it will be that much harder to get her back to doing it when she stops fighting me over it.

John wonders if it is caused by sugar in her diet. She is eating more sweets lately, with the Smartie incentives of toilet training and the Christmas baking around. Before I give into her not napping, I'm going to try the sugar removal. I'll just keep at her for a few more days.

I told her today that if she keeps climbing out of bed and fighting me over her nap, she won't be able to watch any t.v. until she takes a good nap. That definitely put the fear of God into her but I'm not sure if it translates into change.

I'd welcome any advice!

No comments: