I did it last year with the girls. I simply added a slip of paper into each day of our Playmobil advent calendar (which I LOVE). Each slip had an activity for us to do that day. Some were more involved like decorating the house for Christmas or making a gingerbread house. Some were simple like "go play in the snow" or "read a Christmas book". This year I have some great plans in store and I've been spending some time thinking about it.
One of the very exciting things this year is that my sister Beth and niece Kate will be visiting us from Austin from December 2 to 9 so they'll get to join in our fun for a while. I've specifically come up with some great things while they're here including:
- the Christkindl Market in Kitchener
- the outdoor Christmas pageant (with live animals!) at a local church
- a walk through the Christmas light display at Waterloo Park
- making gingerbread houses (I have some baking to do beforehand)... maybe
- some special Christmas crafts
- getting the Christmas tree and decorating it
Sounds great, doesn't it? I'll fill in the rest of the time before Christmas with some other crafts, stories, some movies, playing outside, making homemade hot chocolate, Christmas baking, etc.
I'm really getting excited for Christmas already. I'll have to pace myself or I'll be a seriously worn-out elf.